Saturday, November 4, 2017

Two way street

Most all the streets here are one direction.

Passing my friend on the way to work the other day "But isn't it the other way?" he asked. "Yeah, but it is only a one way street, buddy." I replied. He smiled and told me "You are the only person in this town going the long way."

Now every morning I am torn.

In one direction my friend and everybody else are right - going the wrong way is faster, not hurting anyone, and I even like the tiny sense of fuck you to the traffic gods, un-rightfully pissed off drivers going the other - correct - way, and generally to the systems and rules and laws and customs and order everywhere.

But going the other way, the long way, also appeals to me, symbolically. My favorite blogger has a saying about the 'long cut' - reminding us not that there are no short-cuts, but that there is only one, and that one short-cut is taking the long route. 

No comments:

Post a Comment