Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Still a Skeptic

Writing this to help clarify my thoughts...

I am growing ever more curious about mindfulness, emptiness, and no-self. But I am growing more skeptical of the whole project as well.

Say for example I had a new and unique experience last night while meditating. Is that experience best classified as an insight into reality? Or is it better described as a just more thoughts, thoughts that were greatly influenced by listening to a Ham Sarris audiobook talking about these topics 30 minutes prior? I don't know.

Is there an underlying nature of the mind to be observed or will we simply experience a story?

But here it seems that the skepticism and curiosity are happily aligned - for the only chance to see if "there is a there there" is by observing more experiences and then deciding if it is all a story or something more.

I don't want to be a blind sheep, all the while telling myself that I am seeing clearer than those around me. That would be the height of arrogance. 

But I don't see any other way to go about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment