Tuesday, February 4, 2014

A good time for a reread....

....The Signal and the Noise: Why So Many Predictions Fail- but Some Don’t by Nate Silver

I just picked up this book again because I wanted something to read over lunch…read the introduction and now am going to continue, reading it for a second time. If you haven’t read it I suggest you at least read the introduction- it alone is well worth the price.
A couple cool things:
1-    An explanation for increased partisanship is simply that there is more information readily available (information doesn’t equal knowledge) and people tend to gather information that supports their biases. Take two partisan groups and the more informed they are, the more they will disagree. Examples include the printing press leading to countless wars and the right and left on the issue of climate change.

2-    Good timing. I am going home in a bit to do some research and predict if an idea I have will work. I am looking forward to try to use some of the stuff I learn from this book to see if I can’t make a good one. 



No comments:

Post a Comment